Welcome to Boz Buys
There are plenty of ways to get your Boz on! Boz Buys links you to Boz titles available on Amazon. Thanks for visiting!
New Featured Buy:
- Hardcover: 2013
- Publisher: Viking Penguin
- A witty, revealing, sharply written work of memoir and criticism by the cofounder of Steely Dan.
- Musician and songwriter Donald Fagen presents a group of vivid set pieces in his entertaining debut as an author, from portraits of the cultural figures and currents that shaped him as a youth to an account of his college days and of life on the road. Available at the Bozzies.com Amazon Store.
The Boswell Legacy: The Story of the Boswell Sisters of New Orleans and the New Music They Gave to the World
- Paperback: September 25, 2014
- Label: Kyla Titus
- Get the inside skinny on the home life of the Boswell Sisters as seen through the eyes of VBoz’ grand daughter, Kyla Titus. The Boswell Legacy takes a deep dive into the family legends passed down all the way from the 1850s that the author uses as a perspective to frame their lives. The book is great way to glimpse the personal lives of the Bozzies through the lens of a descendant.
Latest Boz Collections:
- Audio CD Box Set: 2011
- Label: Storyville Records
- Although full of flaws and a real disappointment to the purist, this boxed-set reissue of the songs featured on the Nostalgia Arts collection does have all the commercially released songs of the Boswell Sisters. So if you really wanted to hear them all, and had not been able to collect the original John R.T. Davies remasters from the first collection, this will satisfy your Boz craving. One good thing this has in common with the original: the David McCain liner notes! Available at the Bozzies.com Amazon Store.
- Audio CD: 2006
- Label: El Records
- This recent import features an interesting mix of the Bozzies most popular fare along with some of their older and rarer matetrial. Their very early style kicks off the CD with “Highway to Heaven” and “That’s What I Like About You.” Then we get a sampling of the Sisters through the years with emphasis placed on their Brunswick hits. A nice purchase for those who do not have the Nostalgia Arts series to round out your collection. Available at the Bozzies.com Amazon Store.
- Audio CD: 2004
- Label: Jaz
- Nicely remastered collection with excellent liner notes by Scott Yanow. A great first CD for folks who want to get to know the Boswell Sisters music. See bozzies.com review. Available at the Bozzies.com Amazon Store.
- Audio CD: 2003
- Label: ASV Living Era
- A bouncy compilation that include some of the Boswell’s hottest numbers. This CD features many of the top tunes the Sisters cut with the Dorsey Brothers including their breakout single “When I Take My Sugar to Tea,” all the way through to their masterful arrangement of “Shuffle Off to Buffalo.” Available at the Bozzies.com Amazon Store.
- Audio CD: August 15, 1995
- Label: Sony
- Whether it’s the Dietz and Schwartz’ Louisiana Hayride, the Koehler and Arlen’s Minnie the Moochers Wedding Day, or Hoagy Carmichael’s Charlie Two-Step, the joi du swing simply bursts from this CD. Benefiting from the Brunswick masters now owned by Sony and good liner notes from Roy Hemming and David Hajdu this is a Bozzie basic your collection must have. Available at the Bozzies.com Amazon Store.
- Audio CD: September 22, 2005
- Label: Pegasus
- A German release with a selection of songs that is well tuned to the contemporary ear. Includes great numbers like Puttin’ It On, You Oughta Be in Pictures, The Music Goes Round and Round, and Goin’ Home, which makes it a nice piece despite a somewhat uneven remastering. Available at the Bozzies.com Amazon Store.
Storyville/Nostalgia Arts Vols. 1-5
- Hard to find, especially Vols 1 and 5, and often expensive, this collection is a Must Have for the truly Bozzed. There are some weird things about this collection: several songs are repeated with no apparent difference in the tracks. But once you get beyond that wee problem you have got the nearly complete recordings of the Bozzies stretching from their Victor cuts from 1925 through 1936’s swan song I’m Putting All My Eggs in One Basket. The liner notes that begin in Vol. 2 and run through Vol. 5 are from the Wizard of Boz himself, David McCain. They alone are worth the investment to a true Bozophile. Find ’em, buy ’em, slip on those headphones and enter the nirvana of Boz.
Okay, America! Alternate Takes and Rarities
- Audio CD: January 22, 1993
- Label: Jass
- So ya wanna hear it all? Then you need to find this great collection of alternate takes. Many of these songs were included in the Jass vinyl by the same name, but immaculate mastering make this a digital must have. It mixes Connie’s solos with the Sisters songs and features the unforgettable masterpiece Washboard Blues. The creativity of the Sisters is never more evident than when you compare takes of Was That the Human Thing to Do. Once you’ve reached this stage in your trip to Boz, you have what the Wizard calls, the gene!